Wednesday, January 19, 2011

RAIN PICTURE


Hi, there,

We finally got some rain here and Robert Baxter has memorialized it with this beautiful photo of wild huckleberries at the edge of the Suwannee. The river's been at its lowest since anyone began measuring and, of late, the only time the water moves is when a wind pushes it back upstream. Still, yesterday's visitor, my friend Nancy Sorak, said it was peaceful.

Nancy and I hadn't met in almost two decades, yet we were the same. She said people don't change much; my jury's out on that one. We'll see. Meanwhile, if you'd like to see some of the art Nancy creates, jog over to Fleota in Bay St. Louis. Nancy's work has been amazing me for decades and grows only more beautiful and original.

EVENT NEXT WEEK: 24 January at Lake City's Main Library, I'll be speaking about my work (writing, oral history collection, etc.) before Columbia County Historical Society. The meeting begins at 7:00 p.m. and I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: